mardi 22 mars 2016

Optimizing a Prolog algorithm

I'm trying to learn more advanced Prolog by doing problems I've already solved in Java, and translating parts of the code where possible. I'm currently working on a pebble solitaire problem (http://ift.tt/1XL3LoR), and my code does produce the right answer, for the most part at least... Some inputs take arduous amounts of time to solve, and in some cases, SWI-Prolog runs out of stack (for example start([111,111,111,111,111,45,45,111,45,111,111,111]).

I wonder how I can optimize my program so that it works for all inputs of length 12, and solves them reasonably fast at least.

I tried inserting some cuts where I thought they made sense in the minimizing algorithm, which seemed to have some positive effects. Perhaps there are other things I can do to speed things up that I'm not aware of? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

% Facts.

empty(45).    % "-"

occupied(111).  % "o"

% Executes a move and updates the board.

executeMove([_, _, _ | R], 0, 1, 2, X, Y, Z, [X, Y, Z | R]).

executeMove([A, B, C | R], I, J, K, X, Y, Z, [A | T]) :- K1 is K - 1,
                                                 J1 is J - 1,
                                                 I1 is I - 1,
                                                 executeMove([B, C | R], I1, J1, K1, X, Y, Z, T).

% Tests if a move to the left can be made,
% i.e. there exists a substring "-oo". 

tryLeft(L, I, J, K) :- I > 1,          
                        nth0(I, L, X),
                        occupied(X),
                        nth0(J, L, Y),
                        occupied(Y),                               
                        nth0(K, L, Z),
                        empty(Z).

% Tests if a move to the right can be made,
% i.e. there exists a substring "oo-".                    

tryRight(L, I, J, K) :- I < 10,        
                      nth0(I, L, X),
                      occupied(X),     
                      nth0(J, L, Y),
                      occupied(Y),                              
                      nth0(K, L, Z),
                      empty(Z).

% Calculates the number of pebbles on the board.

pebbles([], 0).

pebbles([111|T], N) :- pebbles(T, N1),
                 N is N1 + 1, 
                 !.

pebbles([_|T], N) :- pebbles(T, N).

% Algorithm for minimizing the number of pebbles 
% on a board. Currently too inefficient. 

tryMove(L, I) :- (
                 I < 12,               % Iterate over the entire board
                 nth0(I, L, P),        % Get the Ith character
                 (                     % If that character is a pebble
                    occupied(P);       % then we might be able to move
                    I1 is I + 1,       % Otherwise, next iteration
                    !,
                    tryMove(L, I1)
                 ),
                 (
                    J is I + 1,
                    K is J + 1,
                    tryRight(L, I, J, K), % Test if a move can be made
                    !,
                    executeMove(L, I, J, K, 45, 45, 111, Y), % Update the board
                    tryMove(Y, 0), % Test algorithm using the new board
                    calculate(Y);  % Possibly update the minimum 
                    true
                 ),                % Reset to the previous board
                 (
                    J is I - 1,
                    K is J - 1,
                    tryLeft(L, I, J, K), % Test if a move can be made
                    !,
                    executeMove(L, K, J, I, 111, 45, 45, Y), % Update the board
                    tryMove(Y, 0), % Test algorithm using the new board
                    calculate(Y);  % Possibly update the minimum 
                    true
                 ),                % Reset to the previous board
                 I2 is I + 1,
                 tryMove(L, I2);   % Iterate
                 true              % Guarantees true output
               ). 

% Reduces code duplication.

calculate(Y) :- pebbles(Y, F),
          (nb_getval(min, M),
          F < M, 
          nb_setval(min, F),
          !;
          true).

% Game predicate.

start(L) :- pebbles(L, E), 
        nb_setval(min, E), 
        tryMove(L, 0), 
        nb_getval(min, M), 
        write(M), 
        nl.



Optimizing a Prolog algorithm

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire